Friday, February 18, 2011

They Are Called "Professional Pick-Pockets" for a Reason

Looking out at the view from the coast of Sorrento
Yes, it is what you are thinking.  Yours truly, the extremely careful and self-aware Caroline Dennis, was pick-pocketed on the bus in Napoli.  My passport was stolen from my small, cross-body purse which was concealed under my knee length fully buttoned winter coat.  It doesn't  matter how careful you are, it can still happen to you.  They are called professionals for a reason.  I knew within two minutes after it happened, but it doesn't matter even if the person is still on the bus with you.  There is nothing you can do.  I am not surprised it happened really...in a bus where you can barely stand because you are being pushed and shoved by pressing bodies on every side.  I just can't believe they got it out of my purse from under my knee length fully buttoned coat.  Well Napoli, you lived up to your reputation.
But life goes on and I am over it.  My budget will just be a little tighter for a while.

The view of Napoli from a castle at sunset
So, my trip.  Where did I go?  Napoli, Sorrento and the beautiful island of Ischia.
Upon arriving in Napoli and seeing the graffiti covered buildings and heaps of garbage covering the streets, Becca and I briskly walked in silence in the direction of our hostel away from the central train station.  Although neither of us said it out loud, the thought running through our head were the same. "Why are we vacationing here?"  However, as we got further and further from the train station the city began to improve a bit.  It was still a far cry from Firenze, but we were anxious to see what the city had to offer.

Some highlights of the trip:
 Gino Sorbillo Pizzeria.  The most amazing pizza I have ever eaten.  There is a reason Napoli is famous for it's pizza.  On our first night in Napoli Becca and I ate here and a guitarist came in and played for the restaurant. A man at another table started belting operatic song.  Quite an Italian experience.  There was no doubt we were in Southern Italy.  I got the "Nonna Carolina" pizza on our second visit...Grandma Caroline.  I mean, how could I not?

Ischia Sunset
The People.  The difference was extremely noticeable between Southern Italians and Italians in our area.  I loved it.  This is where the warm, welcoming stereotypes come from.  And the the men...

The Men.  Where have all the "gorgeous Italian men" been hiding?  Southern Italy.  We met two and spent a few hours with them.  One, an actor, spoke perfect English with a barely detectable accent and the other, a musician, spoke no English at all.  They were both swoon worthy.  I was Facebook friends with both by the next day.
No, we didn't take pictures with them.  Why?  I ask myself the same question.

ISCHIA!  We made friends with a tour group of old Italians and they took us on their tour for two hours before leading us to our hotel.  They were all so excited to have three young girls from another country touring with them!  If you had been there you would have felt like you were part of a movie script.

Ischia Panoramic
Beautiful day at the hotsprings

Natural Hotsprings.  Many of the best things in life are free.  This was one of them.  Water so hot we could barely touch it in some areas.  Laying out in bikinis in mid February.  In summary - the perfect day.

The view from our hotel room
Time with the Lord.  After my passport was stolen I spent a few hours talking to God.  First ranting, then thanking, then listening, then praying.  God used this unfortunate event to draw us closer even still.  I am still amazed at how much our relationship is growing this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment