Monday, December 15, 2014

Surprises are the Best!

Thanksgiving in Turkey!  Yep, you read that right, I went back again.  Just two months after I visited Victoria after of year of going without, my parents gave me their accrued airline miles, scoring me a FREE ticket to Turkey!  I was able to spend time with my mom, dad and Victoria, all at once, for the first time since before I was working for Disney Cruise Line, beginning March of 2013.  Not long for some, but I'm not embarrassed to say, long for me.

Playing games!  One of our favorite past times!


A few of the many we shared our American tradition with.
Represented: USA, Turkey, Belgium, Syria.
An international Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is done, so now it's Christmastime!
Christmas movie night with Victoria's roommates, Julianna and Kaylee.




Istanbul! (Not Constantinople)

After a few days in Izmir at Victoria's, the four of us traveled to Istanbul!  Only took four visits to Turkey, but thanks to my parents I finally made it!  Istanbul is an enormous city, so of course I didn't see all the things on my list, but there's always next time.  The most important part was the people I was there with.  


I very much enjoyed learning little bits of the language while I was there.  Languages, I have realized over the past few years, are something that fascinate me.  Because I had just been two months earlier, I remembered this and that, and sometimes fooled people into thinking I was Turkish.  For instance, I would be asked on the plane if I wanted something to drink.  Obviously, they have a drink cart and are going down the aisle, so I know what they are asking even though I don't actually understand the words they are using.  I told them I wanted, "Kahve." (coffee)  They then rambled something else off and I responded, "süt," (milk) knowing that the next logical question was if I wanted milk and sugar.  If they asked me anything else after that, I would respond, "Türkçe bilmiyorum," (I don't know Turkish) and leave them extremely confused.  A for effort at least!

Can't even put into words how much I love this girl!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Loved your post AND the pictue of all of us at thanksgiving. Can you send it to me please please? Next time you're here you really need to come to our place! Kolay gelsin (turkish) on moving countries again! Loes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teşekkür ederim! I will definitely send you the picture and I look forward to seeing you and to my next visit, whenever that may be!

      Delete