Saturday, August 30, 2014

Cinque Terre, Italy

In English, Cinque Terre means "five lands" or towns.  This destination spot is one of the many quintessential images of Italy, placed on the costal cliffs and hillsides of the Italian Riviera.  But let me tell you, it is HOT and CROWDED in the summer time, a season when I had not ever visited.  However, it's charm and beauty make up for these small inconveniences.

Vernazza

If all of the trails are open, (no washouts from the rainy season, maintenance, etc.) you can hike from the first to the last town.  It takes a few hours and although it is beautiful, it is work.  Soaking your feet in the cold ocean is a welcome reward upon completion. If you have been reading my blog since it's beginning, you know that I had the opportunity to visit Cinque Terre a couple times when I spent my senior year in Florence.  It is like Yosemite National Park in California, in that you can visit time and time again and still find it beautiful and alluring.
Map of the Cinque Terre

I was also able to visit several times over the course of the contract.  Riomaggiore is a short 20 minute train ride from La Spezia, making a relaxing beach day pretty doable, depending on the work schedule for the day. (Don't forget the time it takes to tender in the La Spezia port.)  Kristine and I hiked the trail once and I also spent a day at the beach in Monterosso with Kaleigh on another occasion.

A beach day in Monterosso with Kaleigh

Ready to hike with Kristine!  We were so DONE when we reached the end...and then we were off to work.

Riomaggiore








Princess Aurora and Snow White enjoying each other's company

No comments:

Post a Comment