Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Last Hoorah

Rodos, Greece
Ok, well maybe that is a little mellowdramatic, but let's put it this way: I am home from my last trip outside of Italy before returning to the U.S.  I didn't tell you I was going to Greece?  Probably because it was a last minute trip for me as well and as you can see by the number of postings this month, April has been all go, go, go.  My Spring Break and Victoria's trip happened to match up so we, as well as three of her friends, were able to meet in Rhodes, Greece for a couple of days.  I arrived Monday and returned home Thursday.  Although it was a short trip and the weather conditions may not have been ideal for an island vacation, I was thrilled to be able to see my sister for a third time this year.

Haraki, where we stayed.
We were witness, once again, to the fact that traveling during the "off" season can be both a blessing and a curse.  Tourist season officially starts May 1st on the island of Rhodes and it was apparent in the shops, restaurants, buses and more.  On the bright side, our accommodations (2 little condos and Victoria and I got one to ourselves!) were extremely less than during tourist season.  On the other hand, restaurants weren't at their finest.
After our first dinner we learned that just because it is on the menu, that doesn't mean that they have it in the kitchen!  No traditional Greek food (!), no cheese for fried cheese balls, a make shift Greek salad because they ran out of ingredients and lastly, no bread for the tzatziki we already ordered!  We were generally good sports about it and laughed it off, but throughout the course of the trip we found this to be quite normal because of the time of year.

We took advantage of our first day by spending it on the beach of the tiny town of Haraki.  It turned out to be the only day with both sun and warm temperatures!  We were so thankful we spent it on the beach instead of missing our opportunity!  We rented a car the next day and took a scenic drive around the island and with a couple of stops, including the whitewashed, traditional, Greek city of Lindos.  This city is exactly what I have always pictured Greece to be and I can't wait to go back in a couple of years and see more of it on the island of Santorini!  Our last morning in Greece, Victoria and I got up in the hopes of driving up to a mountain view that is said to be the most beautiful in all of Greece.  Unfortunately, the sky was overcast and the mountains were covered in a thick layer of fog.  Instead we decided to hike to a castle on the hill within walking distance to where we were staying in Haraki.  Although it wasn't our original plan, we got a beautiful view nonetheless as well as a long walk together and more time for talking.
Haraki beach from the castle on the hill.

It was wonderful to have Victoria there in person to be able to discuss my future after graduation and what seems like an abyss of..."unknowness" and uncertainty.  With the last final of my entire education only a month away, this seems to be one of the most prominent things on my mind lately.  There is never a better person than your best friend to be able to talk about the future with.

The traditional, Greek whitewashed city of Lindos



Sister time in Lindos
Even though I wasn't with family this Easter, I was able to spend it with my new church family from Chiesa Logos.  After church we went to Rose's house for Easter lunch, and with the knowledge of going home in only five short weeks I was able to completely enjoy myself and leave melancholy and nostalgia behind.
The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay." Matthew 28:5-6
Happy Easter! Buona Pasqua!

No comments:

Post a Comment