Friday, November 26, 2010

Roma

Yes, my blogs are getting fewer and farther between.  Sorry about that.  Don't give up on my, I'll keep going!

The Colosseum from a distance
Last weekend I went to Roma with my school on a field trip and we stayed in a 4 star hotel!  Man, it was so nice!  Not that my apartment isn't nice, but who knows how many years ago it was built and there are some things that you just can't clean or you just can't fix.  This hotel room had spotless hardwood floors, towels that went down to my calves and a huge breakfast every morning.

Inside the Colosseum with a partially reconstructed arena floor.
We left Thursday morning and made stops along the way to Roma, were in Roma for 2 days, and left Sunday morning and saw different things all the way back to Firenze.  The things we saw were amazing, but there was just so much on our itinerary.  We went to the Roman Forum first and then the Colosseum.  They were amazing.  I have to say though, when we were in the Colosseum I didn't really know how to feel.  It was so cool to be there, but at the same time, I felt bad to think it was "cool" thinking about how many people were murdered there for spectacle.  I wanted pictures in the Colosseum, but what was I supposed to do?  Do you smile?  It was just weird.  I am so glad that I was able to visit though!

Ruins of the Roman Forum
By the time I got home I never wanted to see another museum again for months and months and months.  We probably went to more museums in 4 days that I have been to in 3 years.  There are certain aspects of Rome that are so strange though...like the ruins that are on practically every block.  You turn the corner and, "Hey look.  More ruins."  It was all much more exciting if you thought about it in Biblical terms too.  There are so many people, like Paul, who spent time in that city, in places that I have now been to!

While I was in Rome I really made a conscious effort to spend time with different people than I normally do back in Firenze.  I really enjoyed being with new groups of people and I'm glad I did.  One night when we went out we were talking about the differences between Rome and Florence and certain things that I hadn't thought of before.  Obviously Rome is much bigger than Florence, that is not a surprise, but I never thought before about the necessity of a financial district in every big city.  So much of what is in those districts is what keeps cities alive and growing financially.  Florence does not have a district like this and instead survives primarily on tourism.  It is surviving for now, but does this mean that Florence is a dying city?  It seems to be turning into a living museum and nothing more.  What happens if interest in Art goes south?  Just thoughts we discussed.

The trip was good, but a little to go, go, go for my liking.  I understand that they had to do it that way since it was a school trip and there were only a few days but I think it will be better when I go back in April.  My parents and I are going to Rome in April!!  They bought their ticket!  THEN we will have a wonderful vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment